Skip to main content

A struggling X-Ray Student

I am a radiology (X-ray) student enrolled in a 2-year ASRT (American Society of Radiologic Techs) accredited program through my local hospital. The area I live in is well populated and the program has a high reputation and the highest passing rate in the state. There are no other hospitals nearby(no competition=even shittier pay than most hospitals). The schoolwork is pretty rough and on top of clinicals, it can be challenging. The program already has a lot of competition and only accepts 20 people a year so I feel very fortunate to have gotten in. Now that I have laid out the background info, let me dive into the issues.

Our teachers are all over the place and try to probe us for drama to satisfy their misery. They have no structure..We have already lost several people due to either stress or failing grades.

On top of this mess, most of the radiology techs we work clinical rotations with are the most miserable people I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. They are supposed to help us learn and they don't. They are rude to us students and sadly the patients. I can't blame them entirely because they are short staffed, cut hours (makes zero sense), and are paid less than a cook at Wendy's. I refuse to take a job at this hospital once I graduate. The teachers and school counselor have made it very evident that any verbal assault and sexual assault is shrugged off and mocked if reported by us.

I try not to the let it get to me but sometimes the X-Ray techs treat me and patients (that are literally dying) soo bad...like absolute scum, that I can't help but walk away to let out a few tears and muffled screams in the bathroom. It is becoming hell. I am close to the end of year 1 and fear that it will get even worse as a second year. They will expect us to know everything even though we don't get near enough practice on top of the fact that they don't help or teach like they're supposed to. I want to finish the program and specialize in MRI for decent pay. It took a long time for me to get where I am and I am not as young as most of my classmates. I got married and want to settle down and have a family. This is what I have been dreaming up to. but I am starting to get into a scary dark place that I am afraid may become a place that could make me want to not exist anymore if you catch my drift.

Can anyone relate? Does anyone have any tips? Thanks for listening.

submitted by /u/paganite777
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/usrl8y/a_struggling_xray_student/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AI for radiology - A survey

Hello folks! We are a group of students from Karolinska Institutet and Stockholm University (Sweden). We are conducting a short survey (it should not take more than 10 minutes of your time) to evaluate an Artificial Intelligence framework for evaluating medical imaging and, in particular, the effect that explainability can have on clinicians' attitudes toward it. We welcome anyone who interacts with medical imaging to take our survey, so please, feel free to do it even if you are still a student or an intern! If you know someone who works in the field, please, pass them the survey. It would help us greatly. https://bit.ly/RTEX_survey Thanks in advance to all of you! submitted by /u/francozzz [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/r2ratp/ai_for_radiology_a_survey/

Fibrous Dysplasia of the Skull

submitted by /u/ctisus [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/111ej8m/fibrous_dysplasia_of_the_skull/

Multigated acquisition (MUGA) - Procedure in which patient’s RBCs are radiolabeled and gated cardiac scintigraphy is obtained.

submitted by /u/Ok_Combination_889 [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/z83wm1/multigated_acquisition_muga_procedure_in_which/