Skip to main content

Got Accepted to Xray School but I'm Torn on Pursuing this Career

Good morning folks,

Some background on me - I'm in my early 30s and have been interested in making a career change to Radiology, particularly MRI. I've been working as a Medical Assistant in a Radiology department at a local hospital for almost 6 months now. I had been thinking about becoming a Radiology Tech in my 20s, after I had finished my Master's in Mental Health Counseling and decided that career wasn't exactly for me. I got a job as a Recruiter but I was fairly confident that wasn't what I wanted to do long-term. I had learned a little about MRI, CT, and PET scans in a Neuroscience class I took while getting my BA in Psychology and found myself fascinated. Having a job where I get to utilize these kind of technologies to get images that will help doctors treat patients seemed up my alley. I don't think I was ready to go back to school at that time. I was content just having a job that paid well enough to live on my own.

I was at a point last year where I was ready to leave my job as a Recruiter and start pursuing something new, and the idea of being a Radiology Tech came back to me. I was bored of sitting in front of a computer all day and wanted to do something more hands-on, something where I get to fill a need in society and help people in some way. I decided it was time to pursue Radiology. I ended up getting my current job as an MA, applied to a Radiology Science program, and just found out I was accepted earlier this week.

Part of me is excited to start a new career, but the other part of me is terrified because of the current state of healthcare in the US. We have been short-staffed in my department since I started, even before the current Omicron wave of the pandemic. I don't see how we can get fully staffed in the next 1-2 years. The Techs we have are having to pick up extra shifts. There was a lot of stress around the holidays, people worrying if their time off was going to get approved or not. Some of the Techs who have been here longer said while things weren't perfect before the pandemic, this is the most stressed they've been in their career. I've even heard one newer Tech say they regret getting into healthcare and would rather have a job working from home where they can just do paperwork.

I'm just worried about healthcare in the US ever getting back to some semblance of normal. I find myself questioning if I really want to be in an environment where my coworkers and I are constantly stressed, being asked (or required) to pick up extra shifts, etc. I know I'm capable of being a good Xray/MRI Tech, but where I'm getting stuck in my decision making is if this career is worth the stress. I'm fine dealing with difficult patients but the stresses & mismanagement of healthcare system are what concern me most and it's hard to envision things improving in the future. Part of me wants to believe that's just pessimistic thinking, but a lot of experienced Techs don't seem too hopeful about the future.

Is anyone else in the same boat - i.e. currently in Xray school / recently accepted and questioning if you still want to do this? Or any advice for an aspiring Technologist?

submitted by /u/funky_ass_flea_bass
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/s9eceu/got_accepted_to_xray_school_but_im_torn_on/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AI for radiology - A survey

Hello folks! We are a group of students from Karolinska Institutet and Stockholm University (Sweden). We are conducting a short survey (it should not take more than 10 minutes of your time) to evaluate an Artificial Intelligence framework for evaluating medical imaging and, in particular, the effect that explainability can have on clinicians' attitudes toward it. We welcome anyone who interacts with medical imaging to take our survey, so please, feel free to do it even if you are still a student or an intern! If you know someone who works in the field, please, pass them the survey. It would help us greatly. https://bit.ly/RTEX_survey Thanks in advance to all of you! submitted by /u/francozzz [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/r2ratp/ai_for_radiology_a_survey/

Fibrous Dysplasia of the Skull

submitted by /u/ctisus [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/111ej8m/fibrous_dysplasia_of_the_skull/

Multigated acquisition (MUGA) - Procedure in which patient’s RBCs are radiolabeled and gated cardiac scintigraphy is obtained.

submitted by /u/Ok_Combination_889 [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/z83wm1/multigated_acquisition_muga_procedure_in_which/