Skip to main content

I had a discussion with my attending on my OBGYN rotation, and he feels breast rads should not be qualified to do procedures.....

I was a bit offended by this discussion. I am a third year medical student going into radiology specifically for the field of breast radiology. I think breast radiology is amazing. Great mix of clinic, procedures, and reading.

HOWEVER, today I was working in the women's free clinic with him and he was saying how he doesn't feel that radiologists should be doing procedures as they are "not trained to do so". I think this is a very narrow and misguided mentality. He felt OBGYNS/surgeons should be doing image guided biopsies. And he was even saying "Cyst aspirations are so easy my first year obgyn intern could do that with her eyes closed".

I just felt offended because I love the procedural aspect of breast rads. I do feel that radiologists are EXTREMELY qualified to do image guided procedures, and I would even argue that they are more qualified than surgeons in some aspects to do these procedures. Esp a fellowship trained breast radiologist.

why do some physicians just blatantly disrespect radiology as a field? I don't get it.

I am just looking for confirmation that should I go into breast radiology I won't be having turf wars with surgeons/obgyns for my patients? I would like to be the one performing biopsies should they be necessary. I feel the breast rads doc would have the best clinical inclination if a breast biopsy is truly needed, and I don't want to overbiopsy/over test people if they do not need it.

submitted by /u/pinkmedbunny
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/mzce0i/i_had_a_discussion_with_my_attending_on_my_obgyn/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AI for radiology - A survey

Hello folks! We are a group of students from Karolinska Institutet and Stockholm University (Sweden). We are conducting a short survey (it should not take more than 10 minutes of your time) to evaluate an Artificial Intelligence framework for evaluating medical imaging and, in particular, the effect that explainability can have on clinicians' attitudes toward it. We welcome anyone who interacts with medical imaging to take our survey, so please, feel free to do it even if you are still a student or an intern! If you know someone who works in the field, please, pass them the survey. It would help us greatly. https://bit.ly/RTEX_survey Thanks in advance to all of you! submitted by /u/francozzz [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/r2ratp/ai_for_radiology_a_survey/

Fibrous Dysplasia of the Skull

submitted by /u/ctisus [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/111ej8m/fibrous_dysplasia_of_the_skull/

Multigated acquisition (MUGA) - Procedure in which patient’s RBCs are radiolabeled and gated cardiac scintigraphy is obtained.

submitted by /u/Ok_Combination_889 [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/z83wm1/multigated_acquisition_muga_procedure_in_which/