Skip to main content

Barium Swallow Soon, Super Nervous

Hello everyone.

I've had intense dysphagia for over 25 years (I'm 29 now). I was instructed to get a barium swallow. Last time I had one, I was 16 and my nurses were incredibly rude, forcing me to eat and drink things I physically could not to the point I had burst into tears (not flattering, I know) and ultimately failing after I couldn't swallow the solution quick enough. That was then, when I was still able to eat and drink somewhat easier.

Now I'm 29 as said and I need to have an esophagram done. Issue is is I can't drink anything thicker than water right now or I choke and/or aspirate. My question is, what can I expect? How can I stay calm? What's the barium solution like (it's been a long time) and any advice for someone who's struggling to swallow? I really can't fail this exam again but I'm pretty traumatized from the last time I took it. I've tried looking up Youtube videos or old subreddits but nothing was useful. Apologies in advance if it doesn't belong here!

submitted by /u/Lilythekitsune
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/o9e87l/barium_swallow_soon_super_nervous/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AI for radiology - A survey

Hello folks! We are a group of students from Karolinska Institutet and Stockholm University (Sweden). We are conducting a short survey (it should not take more than 10 minutes of your time) to evaluate an Artificial Intelligence framework for evaluating medical imaging and, in particular, the effect that explainability can have on clinicians' attitudes toward it. We welcome anyone who interacts with medical imaging to take our survey, so please, feel free to do it even if you are still a student or an intern! If you know someone who works in the field, please, pass them the survey. It would help us greatly. https://bit.ly/RTEX_survey Thanks in advance to all of you! submitted by /u/francozzz [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/r2ratp/ai_for_radiology_a_survey/

Fibrous Dysplasia of the Skull

submitted by /u/ctisus [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/111ej8m/fibrous_dysplasia_of_the_skull/

Multigated acquisition (MUGA) - Procedure in which patient’s RBCs are radiolabeled and gated cardiac scintigraphy is obtained.

submitted by /u/Ok_Combination_889 [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/z83wm1/multigated_acquisition_muga_procedure_in_which/