Skip to main content

MS4 applying neuro but feel I'm making a mistake by not going Rads. Any input appreciate

When I reflect on my decision i just really feel like I made a mistake because radiology just seems like a much better fit due to my more introverted nature and not thriving off of patient care. I was deciding between the two and what made me go neuro was a conversation i had with an attending basically saying I need to follow my passion but the problem is i don't really have a passion in medicine and I feel like that word is overused and I just hate that word now. This attending implied i shouldn't go into radiology for whatever reason because he didn't see it in me i guess which really pisses me off because he never even gave me a chance to participate in research or show myself he always gave opportunities to another student in my class who was the same race as him and was highly motivated to go into rads from MS1. I don't get how someone would know from MS1 they want rads but fake it till you make it i guess. He also was saying I seem to like patient contact too much??? Which I was struggling with the idea of no patients but after doing more rotations I'm convinced it's not for me, and I can also get a bit of patient contact in rads too with small little procedures so that would be perfect for me if I feel i miss patients. But i don't think I would especially since I can talk to other clinicians. At the same time I don't mind working alone and often prefer it. Things just did not go well with this attending and I hate that I let it influence my decision but i want to make the best of it now. I mean isn't a medical student entitled to a little bit of doubt???

Anyways I've already applied neuro and have interviews lined up but again I just feel like I'm making a mistake and would be happier in rads due to the lack of patient contact (which I find exhausting), and just better lifestyle/income overall. When I look back on med school i enjoyed the first 2 years much more than clinical years. I like the day to day work of radiology much more but after the conversation with that attending i felt really disheartened and devastated and said screw it I'm going neuro. Application cycle has opened already and I don't think I could get letters from radiology attendings at this point but maybe it's worth talking to the department. Or should I go ahead and match neuro and maybe try to switch into rads during intern year? I feel horrible about this too because I am essentially deceiving a program knowing i want to switch. I know MS4 is the best time to apply to optimize my chances but it might be too late.

My step 1 is 249, took step 2 earlier this week and did not feel good about it at all but we will see. No honors in rotations, have some rads research and some leadership. 3rd quartile.

Any advice is appreciated

submitted by /u/Pak89
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/jlpyzx/ms4_applying_neuro_but_feel_im_making_a_mistake/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AI for radiology - A survey

Hello folks! We are a group of students from Karolinska Institutet and Stockholm University (Sweden). We are conducting a short survey (it should not take more than 10 minutes of your time) to evaluate an Artificial Intelligence framework for evaluating medical imaging and, in particular, the effect that explainability can have on clinicians' attitudes toward it. We welcome anyone who interacts with medical imaging to take our survey, so please, feel free to do it even if you are still a student or an intern! If you know someone who works in the field, please, pass them the survey. It would help us greatly. https://bit.ly/RTEX_survey Thanks in advance to all of you! submitted by /u/francozzz [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/r2ratp/ai_for_radiology_a_survey/

Fibrous Dysplasia of the Skull

submitted by /u/ctisus [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/111ej8m/fibrous_dysplasia_of_the_skull/

Multigated acquisition (MUGA) - Procedure in which patient’s RBCs are radiolabeled and gated cardiac scintigraphy is obtained.

submitted by /u/Ok_Combination_889 [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/z83wm1/multigated_acquisition_muga_procedure_in_which/