Skip to main content

Wanted to share-MRI I received while 21/22 weeks pregnant four years ago

MRI Imaging w/ Full View of the Baby

Just to preface, these images are from 2016, so these are just to show interesting imaging. The attending doctor was so amazed that he came to my room and showed me the images, allowing us to grab a few photos for ourselves. He said he had never seen anything like this in all his years in medicine. He was a really great doctor.

Backstory: I was 21/22 weeks pregnant, around 170 lbs, non-smoker, and no alcohol or drug use. Fairly healthy with a past incidence of kidney stones and ovarian cysts. My chief complaint was a weird pain at the top of my belly bump on the right side near my middle rib. I casually mentioned it to the receptionist while there to pick up accommodations paperwork for school. She went to the back to see if any doctor was available and told me to stay for an exam. I was a bit alarmed because it didn't seem that serious, I suspected growing pains. My OBGYN feared that my appendix was the culprit so he sent me to the ER for imaging. They were conservative in their approach and wanted to avoid anything except an ultrasound, which was inconclusive. They wanted to discharge me and told me to come back if it got worse. I didn't feel comfortable with that, because something just felt "off." So they agreed to keep me for observation and sent me in for an MRI the next day. My baby started kicking the boards strapped on my belly like crazy. While laying there I got this most intense pain that I thought my appendix burst then and there. I was holding my breath, and crying out. The older woman doing the imaging started yelling at me over the intercom, and from there it was agonizing. I required pain management for the rest of my stay. I was admitted to the surgical floor (because originally the appendix was suspected), and stayed for five days. I will include the diagnosis below, since it may not be apparent from these images alone. But I thought some might enjoy seeing these in case they don't get a chance in the field.

>!Several kidney stones in the right kidney, one 6mm that I passed four weeks later, and hydronephrosis in the right kidney for the rest of my pregnancy. I suffered several episodes that triggered labor and required hospitalization. The regimen was medication for pain management and nausea in order to keep the baby inside as long as possible. I had a severe episode at 38 weeks 5 days, where I blacked out despite pain meds. Labor was induced two days later at 39 weeks on the dot and I delivered a healthy, chunky 9 lb 8 oz baby boy!<

Hope you found this interesting!

submitted by /u/KFelts910
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/ii8vv0/wanted_to_sharemri_i_received_while_2122_weeks/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AI for radiology - A survey

Hello folks! We are a group of students from Karolinska Institutet and Stockholm University (Sweden). We are conducting a short survey (it should not take more than 10 minutes of your time) to evaluate an Artificial Intelligence framework for evaluating medical imaging and, in particular, the effect that explainability can have on clinicians' attitudes toward it. We welcome anyone who interacts with medical imaging to take our survey, so please, feel free to do it even if you are still a student or an intern! If you know someone who works in the field, please, pass them the survey. It would help us greatly. https://bit.ly/RTEX_survey Thanks in advance to all of you! submitted by /u/francozzz [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/r2ratp/ai_for_radiology_a_survey/

Fibrous Dysplasia of the Skull

submitted by /u/ctisus [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/111ej8m/fibrous_dysplasia_of_the_skull/

Multigated acquisition (MUGA) - Procedure in which patient’s RBCs are radiolabeled and gated cardiac scintigraphy is obtained.

submitted by /u/Ok_Combination_889 [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/z83wm1/multigated_acquisition_muga_procedure_in_which/