Skip to main content

Becoming a radiation therapist from an unrelated background?

Hi all,

I’ve perused several posts by aspiring radiation therapists in this sub but haven’t seen anyone in a situation quite like mine. I recently graduated with my BS in Microbiology from a good university with a high GPA and some random work experience. I’ve been working since then (restaurant jobs) to save up some money and have been planning to apply to PA school, as my passion lies in healthcare. However, I am married and having children soon and have been feeling daunted by the process. I need more patient care hours and to take the GRE, then the application cycle alone is 1+ yr, plus 2 yrs of school. It would be difficult to go so long without making decent money when I have to provide for a family.

I have since discovered radiation therapy and am VERY interested. I think I’d enjoy it, and a huge perk is that if I applied this cycle, I’d be starting next Fall - a whole year sooner than if I went the PA route.

My concerns are: - I have no radiology experience or background. Though I have science pre-reqs, my degree is unrelated. - The programs near me (Tampa, FL) seem to have 2 yr programs that I may be eligible for, but I am concerned my job opportunities might be bleak with only a 2 yr degree instead of 4 yrs, and with no field experience. - Salaries seem to be very variable, though I know those self-reported salary websites can be unreliable. I need to know a ballpark of what to reasonably expect salary-wise..

Thanks for any and all help! I appreciate it. 😊

submitted by /u/dragonano
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/ijg9nj/becoming_a_radiation_therapist_from_an_unrelated/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AI for radiology - A survey

Hello folks! We are a group of students from Karolinska Institutet and Stockholm University (Sweden). We are conducting a short survey (it should not take more than 10 minutes of your time) to evaluate an Artificial Intelligence framework for evaluating medical imaging and, in particular, the effect that explainability can have on clinicians' attitudes toward it. We welcome anyone who interacts with medical imaging to take our survey, so please, feel free to do it even if you are still a student or an intern! If you know someone who works in the field, please, pass them the survey. It would help us greatly. https://bit.ly/RTEX_survey Thanks in advance to all of you! submitted by /u/francozzz [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/r2ratp/ai_for_radiology_a_survey/

Fibrous Dysplasia of the Skull

submitted by /u/ctisus [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/111ej8m/fibrous_dysplasia_of_the_skull/

Multigated acquisition (MUGA) - Procedure in which patient’s RBCs are radiolabeled and gated cardiac scintigraphy is obtained.

submitted by /u/Ok_Combination_889 [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/z83wm1/multigated_acquisition_muga_procedure_in_which/