Skip to main content

Reporting a physician/NP for unnecessary order

I know a lot of people might hate on this, but I'm a mobile x-ray tech (for the time being, I'm in MRI school right now) and some of the orders we get are ridiculous. Most of the ridiculous orders are for falls and the MD or NP is just covering their ass (I get it). Almost 100% of the time they haven't even seen the patient. They are relying on nurses that (in my case) haven't even seen the pt and are going off what the nurse before them told them. Half the time they aren't even aware that the pt had an order for x-ray.

Today I got an order for, and was in our system as, bilateral shoulders and hips. I show up and the order was literally for everything BUT a skull, chest, and abdomen. The companies rule that I work for is: do whatever the actual order is, even if it's wrong in our system, fair enough....

I get the order and it's....

Bilateral everything, literally... everything...

Ribs, shoulder, clavicle, scapula, humerus, elbow, forearm, wrist, hand, each individual finger....

STERNUM!

Right and left flank.... Ummm ok....

Hips, femur, knee, tib/fib, ankle, foot, each individual toe.

C, T, and L-spine

sacrum

Coccyx

Pelivs

Why they didn't request a hyoid is beyond me

I stopped counting at 60 projections....

Let's not forget this is all being done with a portable with 3-5 views where applicable

Half the time they can't even spell the bones correctly.... Tibula/fibia, lumber spine, humorous, clavacle..... It goes on and on with the spelling

The patient, who's only complaint was right shoulder pain, ended up refusing the exam, thank fuck. Unfortunately this isn't the case everytime and we end up doing whatever the order says because the pt is AMS or non verbal.

Not only is this a radiation safety issue to the patient, but also one to the other 1-3 patients in the room and myself. I don't have enough lead for anyone but myself! At what point do we report these "medical professionals" and where do we report them to?

If I tell my manager or even the vice president of operations about this, I know they'll just say you have to do what the doctor/np orders. The company I work for just wants the money, they don't care about radiation protection or anything else... just money.

As for head radiologist/MD, well, we don't have one. We use telerad. I have no one to reach out to.

WTF do I do?

submitted by /u/Dat_Belly
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/w3f2h5/reporting_a_physiciannp_for_unnecessary_order/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AI for radiology - A survey

Hello folks! We are a group of students from Karolinska Institutet and Stockholm University (Sweden). We are conducting a short survey (it should not take more than 10 minutes of your time) to evaluate an Artificial Intelligence framework for evaluating medical imaging and, in particular, the effect that explainability can have on clinicians' attitudes toward it. We welcome anyone who interacts with medical imaging to take our survey, so please, feel free to do it even if you are still a student or an intern! If you know someone who works in the field, please, pass them the survey. It would help us greatly. https://bit.ly/RTEX_survey Thanks in advance to all of you! submitted by /u/francozzz [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/r2ratp/ai_for_radiology_a_survey/

Fibrous Dysplasia of the Skull

submitted by /u/ctisus [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/111ej8m/fibrous_dysplasia_of_the_skull/

Multigated acquisition (MUGA) - Procedure in which patient’s RBCs are radiolabeled and gated cardiac scintigraphy is obtained.

submitted by /u/Ok_Combination_889 [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/z83wm1/multigated_acquisition_muga_procedure_in_which/