Skip to main content

Struggling with clinicals (at a crossroads)

Hey everyone, 2nd semester junior here in a 2 year program, and my class is nearing the end of this semester in a little over a month from now.

We need 14 comps by the end of this semester, and I'm sitting at 10. I had 11, but my abdomen KUB comp was pulled by my clinical instructor because there are still things regarding positioning and centering and eval criteria/anatomy that I just don't seem to be getting the grasp of. To make matters worse, every single time my clinical instructor is at my site (which btw is every single week/every single clinical day) I get stressed out and anxious because I don't want to make too many mistakes. I've improved a ton with taking patient history and setting the room up and developing a work flow, and both the instructor and program director have said that the techs like my personality and have seen a vast improvement in my clinical performance now as opposed to several months ago. I've come out of my shell a whole lot and never decline doing any procedures that are given to me no matter what they are.

The main issue is, whenever I finish a procedure on a patient and then do image critiques/reject analyses w/ my clinical instructor, she asks me something relating to it in a way that I honestly don't expect and it throws me off and I end up drawing a blank mentally and not knowing how to answer, resulting in uncomfortable embarrassing silence. This has happened on a few procedures that I've comped on, even though I'm fairly knowledgeable w/ positioning and centering, the eval criteria that we go over ends up ruining it all because at that moment I just can't remember what the exact eval criteria is for that specific procedure I just did even though I did everything else right.

Last week my instructor threatened to pull another comp (foot) because I forgot the angulation for AP foot (10° cephalad), and in my head I immediately shut down, got discouraged, and went to break to sit down and seriously consider quitting the program altogether. This has happened a few times this semester alone. I do pretty good on the classroom side of things w/ quizzes and tests and assignments in general. I also feel a lot more confident and sure of myself whenever the instructor isn't around and I'm with a tech. It's when I'm with the instructor who's real nitpicky that I begin forgetting things and second-guessing myself constantly and sweating profusely.

I feel like I still have enough time to get these 4 remaining comps for this semester, but frankly my clinical instructor told me if I don't have them by the end of this semester and still keep making the same mistakes, I'm gonna have to restart the program with the incoming juniors, which I honestly don't want to do. All of this has been weighing on my mind and stressing me out to the point where I can't even concentrate sometimes. There's a bit of favoritism in my class too, so that doesn't help. All I can say is I really am trying my absolute best.

What should I do? If I'm at fault, what do you suggest?

submitted by /u/Enigmalex93
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/tqxw35/struggling_with_clinicals_at_a_crossroads/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AI for radiology - A survey

Hello folks! We are a group of students from Karolinska Institutet and Stockholm University (Sweden). We are conducting a short survey (it should not take more than 10 minutes of your time) to evaluate an Artificial Intelligence framework for evaluating medical imaging and, in particular, the effect that explainability can have on clinicians' attitudes toward it. We welcome anyone who interacts with medical imaging to take our survey, so please, feel free to do it even if you are still a student or an intern! If you know someone who works in the field, please, pass them the survey. It would help us greatly. https://bit.ly/RTEX_survey Thanks in advance to all of you! submitted by /u/francozzz [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/r2ratp/ai_for_radiology_a_survey/

Fibrous Dysplasia of the Skull

submitted by /u/ctisus [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/111ej8m/fibrous_dysplasia_of_the_skull/

Multigated acquisition (MUGA) - Procedure in which patient’s RBCs are radiolabeled and gated cardiac scintigraphy is obtained.

submitted by /u/Ok_Combination_889 [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/z83wm1/multigated_acquisition_muga_procedure_in_which/