Skip to main content

How To Verify Accuracy of FreeSurfer Cortical Reconstructions

I have been working with Freesurfer running reconstructions on Mp2rage MRI data for an internship, and while I think I have been able to figure out how to correctly skullstrip the noisy Mp2Rage image, the professor I am doing the internship with has said that the aseg and aparc results of the reconstruction are not totally accurate. I'm not sure why, although I suspect it's because the skullstrip still has some noise around the edges. I'm going to try brainvoyager or premade matlab scripts to denoise the mp2rage image rather than doing it manually by multiplying the mask generated for the skullstrip of the inversion pulse with the original image.

However, even if I figure out this issue I will still need a way to check my results. I am able to tell that the major structures of the brain are in the right place, but the professor told me this is not enough to verify that the reconstruction is an accurate representation of the original MRI data (which makes sense). I don't know how he's able to tell that the reconstruction is inaccurate by looking at the segmentation, but he wants me to actually run some type of analysis to figure out how to check the data rather than asking him.

He is being intentionally vague because he wants me to figure out how to do this without his help, but I am pretty stuck. He mentioned something about statistical analysis, but it wasn't clear what he meant. I am looking for any tips to mathematically verify that the reconstructions are accurate, and also possibly ways to fix inaccuracies that aren't too extreme.

submitted by /u/krishandop
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/u6jn15/how_to_verify_accuracy_of_freesurfer_cortical/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AI for radiology - A survey

Hello folks! We are a group of students from Karolinska Institutet and Stockholm University (Sweden). We are conducting a short survey (it should not take more than 10 minutes of your time) to evaluate an Artificial Intelligence framework for evaluating medical imaging and, in particular, the effect that explainability can have on clinicians' attitudes toward it. We welcome anyone who interacts with medical imaging to take our survey, so please, feel free to do it even if you are still a student or an intern! If you know someone who works in the field, please, pass them the survey. It would help us greatly. https://bit.ly/RTEX_survey Thanks in advance to all of you! submitted by /u/francozzz [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/r2ratp/ai_for_radiology_a_survey/

Fibrous Dysplasia of the Skull

submitted by /u/ctisus [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/111ej8m/fibrous_dysplasia_of_the_skull/

Multigated acquisition (MUGA) - Procedure in which patient’s RBCs are radiolabeled and gated cardiac scintigraphy is obtained.

submitted by /u/Ok_Combination_889 [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/Radiology/comments/z83wm1/multigated_acquisition_muga_procedure_in_which/